WordPress Development

As I build WordPress websites for my clients, I share what I learn here as tutorials.

Multiple Content Areas

This is a very elegant solution to the problem of having multiple content areas on a single page. It uses headlines to identify the different blocks of content.

Additional Sidebars

Additional sidebars allow you to easily manage content that doesn’t fit in a post or page. I’ll outline how to implement them using Thesis, but you could also do this with any Wordpress theme.

Custom Images and Category Pages in Thesis

As I’ve been working with Thesis a lot lately, I thought it would be a good idea to start posting some tips for customizing it. This post covers customizing post image/thumbnails and displaying category posts on pages.

Search Engine Optimization for WordPress

These are notes from a presentation by Matt Cutts (from Google) on optimizing your Wordpress site. While Wordpress already takes care of most SEO issues, there are a few things you can do to improve it. But remember the 80/20 rule: 80% of SEO is writing compelling content for your readers. The other 20% is simple optimizations of that content.